Monday, October 5, 2009

October Artist of the Month!

Denyse Schmidt!
October's Artist of the Month is Denyse Schmidt.  Denyse is a quilter who works in Bridgeport, Connecticut.  She is one of my favorite artists and here is why: she takes a historic craft and turns it into something modern.  Denyse offers workshops for people who quilt and I went to one.  We learned about Denyse's "Improvisational Quilting" method.  We had to pull scraps of fabric from a bag and use them no matter what we got.  It was very different from a lot of the quilting I had done because you didn't plan what you were doing first.  I had never thought about quilting in that way before.   

Denyse also designs fabrics.  Check out her website for more information about her work.

I notice that Denyse really thinks about her compositions.  It reminds me of when we do collage in class. What do you think?


This quilt was inspired by these dresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment